Everton is safe after Calvert-Lewin completes an epic revival against the Palace

They wouldn’t go. Not the fans who broke into Goodison Park and sang with raw emotion 30 minutes after the final whistle. Not the players who joined the corps from the other side of the police cordon. Not Frank Lampard, who disappeared into the crowd and resurfaced on the roof of the management boxes to absorb recognition.

And not Everton. Their life in the Premier League faded after 45 desperate minutes against Crystal Palace. They wouldn’t go.

Five minutes of normal time remained of the thrilling but memorable meeting. Five minutes for Everton to maintain his position in the best competition for the 69th year and not have to fight the first descent since 1951 on the last day of Arsenal. Dominic Calvert-Lewin timed his impact on Everton to perfection.

The midfielder, who missed so many seasons due to injury, threw himself into a direct kick by Demarai Gray and threw himself into Goodison Park folklore with a header around Jack Butland.

Lampard’s team lost 2-0 in the break; chaotic, uncertain and free-falling towards the championship. Now, encouraged by Dele Alli’s half-time and rewarded with Michael Kean, Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin goals, they had a comeback to compare to the last run against Wimbledon in 1994. The resistance was the first, foolish throw. an invasion that led to a seven-minute outage. After its end, however, it was a struggle that will never be forgotten in these parts.

Lampard finished his work. The consequences of the relegation were huge for the club in Everton’s financial situation and with a new stadium under construction at Bramley Moore Dock. Survival allows for reconstruction and, in these circumstances, an understandable celebration.

Frank Lampard celebrates in the final whistle. Michael Regan / Getty Images Pictures

The Evertonians could do no more to push their beloved club behind the line. In the third home game in a row, Everton coach was greeted by a passionate crowd of supporters on Goodison Road, but in much more numbers and with a much larger number of blue smokestacks than before Chelsea and Brentford.

Repeated calls from fans for tannoy to make room “to allow players access to the stadium” gave a sense of support and despair after one final victory in a torturous season. It felt more like a prelude to the cup final than a downturn.

The audience’s desperation permeated the team’s performance in the first half. The hosts were furious, nervous, and relied too much on a long punt against the isolated Calvert-Lewin. The composite and confident Palace team played a perfectly primitive approach.

Patrick Vieira threw two of his most influential midfielders on the bench, Conor Gallagher and Cheikhou Kouyate, but the guests dominated regardless of possession. The insidiousness and intent shown by Eberechi Eze, Wilfried Zaha and Jeffrey Schlupp were in sharp contrast to the extravagance of André Gomes and Abdoulaye Doucouré.

Everton fans are pouring the pitch into the field. Photo: Oli Scarff / AFP / Getty Images

Goodison’s mood was disrupted after Gomes and Doucour were punished for fouling Tyrick Mitchell deep in the middle of Everton. Eze swept a dangerous direct kick to the far post, where Jean-Philippe Mateta easily escaped the weak attention of Doucouré and Vitalii Mykolenko and guided the textbook head close up under Jordan Pickford.

Goodison was upset again when Anthony Gordon was cut by a dangerous call from Jordan Ayew. Forvard Palace went over the top, but escaped with a yellow card. Two minutes later, he multiplied Everton’s torment by doubling the guests’ leadership.

It was a disastrous goal that began when Séamus Coleman was stripped of his property by Mateta, who lunged to the left before crossing. Five blue shirts chased back, but Pickford decided to punch and rubbed his license to Zaza. The wing’s shot bounced off the ground, Pickford set off, but only to Ayew, who scratched the ball over the goal line via Mykolenka and Doucouré.

Everton created almost nothing in the first half. Something had to change and Lampard introduced the less spotted Alli for the poorly unsorted Gomes and moved to 4-3-3. It was the first performance by former game creator Tottenham since May 1, and his performance helped spark immediate improvements, moving Everton higher onto the pitch and offering more time on the ball.

The hosts needed a timely response. It came as Mykolenko took a deep direct kick from the left and Mason Holgate headed back to Kean, who was checking with his left thigh before passing Butland with his right.

“,” caption “:” The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email. “,” isTracking “: false,” isMainMedia “: false,” source “:” The Guardian “,” sourceDomain “:” theguardian .com “}”>

The Fiver: register and get our daily football email.

Everton’s relentless search for a settlement put them on the counterattack, and Pickford saved them well from Matet. Keane was punished for knocking Eze down, Calvert-Lewin was lucky not to follow the foul on Nathaniel Clyn, but when Everton seemed to be losing his cool head, they found their way back.

Alli was very involved, took Coleman’s center to his chest and volley low over the goal. The palace touch only reached Richarlison, who was ill-controlled on the first touch, but managed to fire the second. The ball hit Gallagher, who had been replaced by Schlupp a minute earlier, and looped for Butland. Goodison exploded and it was yet to come.

Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Exit mobile version